Many of us turn to Vicks VapoRub automatically, when we have a very bad cough and/or severe congestion. Will you still do the same after considering the one ingredient in Vicks - Petrolatum. Petroleum jelly/petrolatum/white petrolatum was first discovered as a by-product forming on oil rigs. If your answer was YES, Think again and read more.
Vicks Vaporub - How it works?Vicks triggers a cold sensation, which is processed as indicating more airflow, so you feel like you're breathing through an unclogged nose. By contrast, decongestant tablets and nasal sprays sold over-the-counter like Vicks Vaporub may make you feel better but in truth they can’t help you breathe any better. Actually, some of the ingredients in Vicks, notably the strong menthol odor, tricks the brain into thinking that it is easier to breathe. All it can do is narrow the blood vessels in the lining of the nose, leading to reduced swelling in the nasal passages.
Vicks Vaporub for BabiesAny menthol and camphor based product like Vicks Vaporub is toxic and can be potentially harmful to babies’ respiratory system. Recent studies have found that putting Vicks Vaporub under a child’s nose actually makes it harder for the child to breathe. It can lead to increase in mucus and congestion in children, who have narrow airways compared to adults. So it is clear that Vicks Vaporub is NOT meant for children and babies under age the age of 2 years.
Vicks Vaporub for AdultsPutting Vicks in, or under, the nose of adult/child is never recommended by doctors globally. It is to be noted that Vicks vaporub is recommended to be rubbed only on the chest, throat and back underneath loose clothing to allow the vapour to be inhaled. Alternatively if needed, two teaspoonfuls of Vicks can be melted in hot (not boiling) water to inhale the steam.
Additionally Vicks Vaporub should not be used with tight bandages and on wounds or damaged skin. If by chance, it gets into the eye, it can even injure human cornea.
Vicks Vaporub for WomenMoreover, the main ingredient of Vicks VapoRub is Petroleum. 1 in every 14 products on the market and 40% of baby lotions and oils makes use of Petroleum Jelly. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons(PAHs) are a contaminate in all petroleum jelly products and could be easily linked to Breast Cancer. Research Fact - The breast tissue of women with breast cancer was 2.6 times more likely to contain elevated levels of PAHs bound to DNA than the breast tissue of women without breast cancer.
So why suffer? Let's prepare a Homemade Chest Rub organically..
Ingredients1/2 cup Coconut Oil/Olive Oil
10-15 drops of Essential Oil combination
5-10 drops Lemon Essential Oil
1-2 tbsp of beeswax pastilles / candelilla wax / palm shortening
- Eucalyptus essential oil has anti-inflammatory, expectorant, and mucolytic properties that help ease and move the mucus out. This oil has been widely used to relieve a cough, cold, and even bronchitis symptoms.
- Lemon oil is one of the most effective essential oils for cough and congestion, It also has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and antibacterial properties that undoubtedly help give you relief.
- Peppermint essential oil gives a cooling sensation and has a calming effect on the body. It also clears respiratory tract.
- Homemade Chestrub can be made without the wax ingredient, but it won’t be as thick.
- Essential oils are very potent so use sparingly! They should be much more diluted for use with babies as compared to use with adults.
- If you’re using Wax, melt 1-2 tablespoons in a double boiler.
- Mix the molten wax with Coconut Oil in a glass bowl.
- Add allowable combination of essential oils into the bowl.
- Stir a little until it’s completely blended.
- Allow the mixture to re-solidify at room temperature.
- Let it infuse for 24 hours.
- Label the jar, so you know the contents.
- Rub it on your chest and upper back when needed.
Caution:Eucalpytus globulus is considered safe to be used after 10 years of age.
Peppermint Essential Oil is safe to use after 6 years only.
Tea Tree Oil can be used for babies after 6 months.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil (the smithii variety) can be introduced at 2 months.
Lavender and Chamomile are considered safe for babies under 2 months.