What should you eat?Eat foods rich in protein. Include foods which are high in sulphur (such as garlic, onions, eggs and asparagus). Vitamin A and C are good for skin, so eat foods that contain these vitamins (such as carrots and apricots).
What should you avoid drinking?Alcohol and Caffeine acts as a diuretic, meaning it causes your body to create more urine, sending you on more frequent trips to the bathroom. Urinating more than usual can dehydrate you by causing you to lose fluid more quickly than normal. This loss of fluids leads to dry skin naturally. Drink lots of water instead. Make sure you drink at least eight glasses a day.
How should you take bath?
- Avoid soaking in steamy tub for lengthy periods of time. Bathing in lukewarm water might be difficult at first but it will soon become tolerable. Use normal water in warm weathers.
- Limit your time in the shower/bath. Avoid taking them too frequently in a day. 10 - 15 minutes is optimal. Longer periods of exposure to water will contribute to the loss of the skin's natural oils, resulting in moisture loss.
- Use a mild cleansers or baby soaps formulated with non-drying ingredients. Shea butter, Goat's milk, Vitamin E, Nourishing oils, such as almond, olive, grapeseed, sesame, marigold and coconut are ideal ingredients in moisturizing soaps. Be sure to use as little soap as possible.
- Gently pat the skin dry with a soft towel after showering/bathing. Do not rub the skin vigorously. The key is to dab it until it is nearly dry; slightly damp is perfectly fine.
- The slight dampness serves as a perfect foundation for the moisturizer( Body lotion/Cream) you slather on. This can seal the water into the skin. If your skin is extremely dry, moisturize as much as possible throughout the day.
What must you apply?Coconut oil is very good for treating dry skin. The good amount of fatty acids in it make up for any moisture loss from the skin. Apply warm coconut oil liberally all over your body before going to sleep and Wash it off in the morning. Follow this daily to get a silky smooth skin.
How to treat dry, flaky skin?
- Use Honey → Honey is considered one of the best natural moisturizers loaded with antioxidant, antimicrobial, and humectant properties. Plus, Honey has lots of essential vitamins and minerals that make your skin extra soft and smooth.
- Treat dry skin patches by spreading honey over it and washing it off after half-an-hour. Before taking a bath/shower, spread honey all over your body and stay that way for 5-10 minutes. Repeat this daily to enjoy well-moisturized, crack-free, healthy skin.
- Use Yogurt → Yogurt is an excellent skin-hydrating agent. The lactic acid plus its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help soothe dry and itchy skin. The mild exfoliating action of yogurt will remove dry skin and leave your skin refreshed.
- Apply fresh yogurt on your hands, face and legs and gently massaging it into your skin. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then take a bath or shower. Do this once daily.